TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Care to review my new site?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
I used a manual processing system on my old ecommerce sites.

One site had the credit card number (complete) hidden inside of two separate login / password layers, that used separate login info for each. Then you had to activate the full credit card number mode once you were in. I would process cards, hang on to the information until the order was complete and past the return/refund date, then I would delete all info.

On OSC, the database stored whole credit card numbers behind one login and a "see whole number" clicl, which I didn't like. There may be a mod now that changed this.

Yahoo! Stores offers the ability to have the card number partially emailed to you. I think they store the rest on the server. They also fax you the number for manual processing, if you select that option.

There are so many options...
XPPMAN asked:

Quote:I want to hear MORE about automated e mails.
Can and does the cart systems do this?
Does it pull the buyers first name from the data base and send an e mail like this:
(If so PLEASE talk to me)

Yes. Every cart system I've ever tried has some kind of automated response system. You can also customize them to sound more personal, to add links or additional info, etc.

The customers are usually emailed dynamically after placing the order (to confirm the order). Some carts also allow an automated tracking number / shipment notification email and/or emails for order issues, out of stock notifications, etc.
FYI ... My "cue" is not working

I haven't read all five pages, and I only took a uick look, but here are a few thoughts.  First, the choice of the store name reminds me of another seller who's store was calles "Fruitcakes" or something like that, but she didn't sell fruit cakes.  I never understood the reason for that, so I'm eually confused about the name of your store.  The word "plastic" to a lot of people euates to "cheap."

I have a CafePress store, and although there are continual sales from it, the number of sales are pretty small.  I've assumed that the market is simply flooded.  Cafepress makes it very easy, so there are a lot of products to compete with.
Quote:The customers are usually emailed dynamically after placing the order (to confirm the order). Some carts also allow an automated tracking number / shipment notification email and/or emails for order issues, out of stock notifications, etc.

Zen has all of that.  It also has emails for account creation (our account creation emails contain an automatically generated coupon code good for 5% of the buyer's next purchase).

In order to use the emails you have to process the order through the cart.  If you're sending the order to Mals you can't use the email automation features.

I prefer automated emails because the customer receives an immediate confirmation after the purchase and I save hours.
I personally like an instant email verifying that the website has received whatever it is that I have done...be it register, purchase, ask a question, etc.  Lets the user know their action has not been lost in outerspace on the ethernet somewhere.

Actually, so many websites are using the instant acknowledgement email, that it makes one wonder if something not so good happened if you DON'T receive one.
Quote:I haven't read all five pages, and I only took a uick look, but here are a few thoughts.  First, the choice of the store name reminds me of another seller who's store was calles "Fruitcakes" or something like that, but she didn't sell fruit cakes.  I never understood the reason for that, so I'm eually confused about the name of your store.  The word "plastic" to a lot of people euates to "cheap."

BHfruitcake company DID sell fruitcakes originally. LOL.

The Plastic Pumpkin name refers to a line of artwork I don't have on the site yet--which uses plastic pumpkins. I literally have thousands of designs to work with. I liked the alliteration of the name. I liked the "cheapness" juxtaposed with art. It works for me.

The new theme we're working on will run with that funny, quirky plasticy sense of reality.

It's also easy to remember.

Quote:I have a CafePress store, and although there are continual sales from it, the number of sales are pretty small.  I've assumed that the market is simply flooded.  Cafepress makes it very easy, so there are a lot of products to compete with.

I don't use Cafepress. The "wholesale" cost of the items is WAY too high. Your margin is really low, and the marketplace is flooded.

I have professional heat press machines. I do it in-house.

I am also selling locally to stores, and targeting brick and mortar shops through catalog and in-person sales. Wholesale is currently my main deal.
Yep - got a couple of things done up at cafepress.  They turned out to be rather cheaply produced, so I stopped using them.  Cheap as in quality, certainly not in price  :Smile
[quote author=Jen link=topic=5449.msg27641#msg27641 date=1160865387]
Yep - got a couple of things done up at cafepress.  They turned out to be rather cheaply produced, so I stopped using them.  Cheap as in quality, certainly not in price  :Smile
[/quote]

We used them pre-bubble burst (2000/1) when we'd need a few promotional t-shirts or mugs for a meeting or clients.  They were good for that purpose but the pricing was much higher than if you went to a normal B-to-B  promo supplier and placed a large order.
Quote:We used them pre-bubble burst (2000/1) when we'd need a few promotional t-shirts or mugs for a meeting or clients.  They were good for that purpose but the pricing was much higher than if you went to a normal B-to-B  promo supplier and placed a large order.

Absolutely. And the quality IS poor. That could be why Cafepress sales are slow.

I use really nice quality shirts.
Sorry we are all over the place now
but I'm going to comment on my set up again.

The way mine is set up via Mals,
whether they go either through PP or  LP
they are redirected to a THANK YOU page after they complete their
order. Same with if they wish to pay by check or money order.
At that point (and it can be a few hours sometimes or in the morning when I get to the computer)
I e mail them a confirmation e mail.
So far it has worked out good but I must admit it can
be labor intensive during peek selling season.

I guess I better look into that e mail automation on oscmax and see what I can do
to implement the cart if I want to save time on those e mails.

I learn so much from you guys. I thougt all that info (cc numbers and stuff)
was being stored on my little part of the server and I didn't like that for some reason.

Oh I also send out shipping e mails too...
for every order when it is shipped.
Good thing I never have gotten to the point I can't handle it all
or I'd be a worst basket case that I already am.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25